Uruguay confirms first cases of Omicron

Xinhua News Agency

MONTEVIDEO – Uruguayan Public Health Minister Daniel Salinas on Wednesday (Dec. 29) confirmed the country’s first cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19.

Researcher Gregorio Iraola of the Pasteur Institute in Montevideo “has been able to confirm” that “the Omicron variant has entered our country,” Salinas told reporters.

More details will be provided by the Pasteur Institute and the ministry on Thursday (Dec. 30), Salinas said following a meeting of the Council of Ministers led by President Luis Lacalle Pou.

“We expect a (viral) behavior similar to that worldwide, that is a very steep increase in cases,” despite 75% of the population having been fully vaccinated, he said.

Uruguay registered 913 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday (Dec. 28), the highest daily number since July 1, while active cases climbed from 4,230 to 4,820, the highest number since July 17.

The South American country has logged 408,894 cases of infection and 6,167 deaths during the pandemic. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...