Ombudsman dismisses Alice Guo from service

Alice Guo during a Senate inquiry on May 7, 2024. (Photo courtesy of Sen. Risa Hontiveros’ Facebook page)

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

The Office of the Ombudsman has ordered the dismissal from service of suspended Bamban, Tarlac Mayor Alice Guo for grave misconduct.

In an order dated August 12, the Ombudsman also ordered the forfeiture of Guo’s retirement benefits and perpetually banned her from holding public office.

Guo’s involvement in the operations of raided Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO) in her area bared a “willful intent on her part to violate the law or disregard established rules,” the anti-graft office said.

“The series of acts are interconnected, leaving no other conclusion than that they were committed by Guo with ulterior motive or self-interest,” it added.

Meanwhile, government lawyers said they may opt to pursue the quo warranto case they had already filed against Guo.

“The quo warranto petition will proceed for two reasons: Mayor Alice Guo may still appeal the OMB (Ombudsman) dismissal order. The quo warranto petition, if successful, will make Guo Hua Ping (a.k.a. Alice Guo) ineligible to run for any elective public position in the future,” Solicitor General Menardo Guevarra said in a message to reporters.

Meanwhile, the Ombudsman also found 12 other Bamban officials guilty of conduct prejudicial to the best interest of service and were ordered suspended for three months.

They are Vice Mayor Leonardo Anunciacion, business permit and licensing officer Edwin Ocampo, Adenn Sigua, Johny Sales, Jayson Galang, Nikko Ballio, Ernesto Salting, Jose Salting Jr., Robin Mangiliman, Jose Aguilar, Mary Lacsamana, and Rainier Rivera.
Fruit of hard work vs. POGOs
The Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission (PAOCC), meanwhile, welcomed the Ombudsman’s decision, calling it a testament to the hard work of government agencies in the campaign against illegal POGOs.

In a statement, PAOCC executive director Undersecretary Gilbert Cruz thanked Ombudsman Samuel Martires and his team “for standing for the Filipino people.”

“We also believe that this recent development serves as a clear reminder that our criminal justice is working. Finally, let it be known that PAOCC and its partners will always fight for our people, regardless of the challenges ahead,” Cruz added. (with report from Lloyd Caliwan)

Popular

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...

Palace lauds rude Russian vlogger’s arrest; persona non grata declaration looms

By Filane Mikee Cervantes | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Friday lauded law enforcement agencies for their swift action in arresting Russian-American vlogger Vitaly Zdorovetskiy,...

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...