Online scam cases down 40% in January – PNP

By Brian Jules Campued

The Philippine National Police Anti-Cybercrime Group (PNP ACG) on Monday revealed that cases of online scams in the country have decreased by 40.29% in January this year.

PNP ACG director Maj. Gen. Sidney Hernia reported 624 cases were recorded last month, from 1,045 cases in January 2023.

Hernia said the cooperation of complainants and the effectiveness of law enforcement operations sent a “powerful message” to cybercriminals.

“As they witnessed their peers being brought to justice and their operations disrupted, they were compelled to reconsider their actions, ultimately leading to a significant decline in illegal online activities,” he added.

The ACG chief also said the ongoing establishment of their offices in various regions, provinces, and districts, combined with the implementation of cybercrime desks within police stations, has been useful in battling cyber fraud.

“To further bolster these efforts, the PNP is committed to conduct comprehensive trainings, seminars, and lectures for personnel assigned to cybercrime desks to sharpen their skills and deepen their expertise, ultimately contributing to the creation of a safer online environment for everyone,” he continued.

Meanwhile, Hernia urged citizens to stay vigilant online.

“It is imperative that we continually educate ourselves to safeguard against falling victim to online scams,” he said. – avds

Popular

No need for PBBM to monitor ICC proceedings vs. FPRRD

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency There is no need for President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to monitor the International Criminal Court’s (ICC)...

Binondo drum murder ‘mastermind’ a Chinese nat’l —Taiwan office in PH

By Brian Campued The alleged mastermind in the so-called Binondo drum murder is a Chinese national, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in the Philippines...

Public warned vs. ash fall as Kanlaon erupts anew

By Brian Campued Authorities advised residents in Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental to be cautious of possible ashfall emitted by Kanlaon Volcano after it erupted...

PBBM focused on governance, no plans yet for 2028 polls —Palace

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. remains unfazed amid Vice President Sara Duterte’s announcement to run for president in 2028, Malacañang said, noting...