
By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency
Private citizens have pooled a P10 million reward for anyone who can give information that will lead to the arrest of fugitive religious leader Apollo Quiboloy, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Sec. Benjamin Abalos Jr. said on Monday.
Quiboloy is wanted for sexual abuse and human trafficking.
His co-accused, Crisente, Paulene, and Ingrid Canada, Sylvia Cemañes, and Jackielyn Roy each have a P1 million bounty.
“Ayaw ipasabi ‘yung pangalan nila, but you know, eto po nangyari rito, kaya meron kaming mga kaibigan na they are so frustrated about what’s happening right now at gusto makatulong kaya nagbigay ng reward ng P10 million,” Abalos said in a press briefing in Camp Crame, Quezon City, referring to the donors who wish to remain anonymous.
Abalos urged Quiboloy anew to surrender and prove his innocence before the courts.
“Sa nangyayaring ito, parang tinatapakan ang sistema ng pamahalaan, parang niyuyurakan. Magse-serve ka ng warrant, parang ikaw pa ang masama. Simple lang, ang batas ay batas, ang may kasalanan mananagot at ‘yan ang gagawin namin,” Abalos said.
Citing intelligence information, Abalos said the Kingdom of Jesus Christ (KOJC) leader is still in the country.
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Rommel Marbil said those coddling Quiboloy may face charges of obstruction of justice under Presidential Decree (PD) 1829, which punishes acts “knowingly and willfully committed with the intention to obstruct, impede, frustrate or delay the administration of justice”.
He confirmed they are looking into the possible liability of former President Rodrigo Duterte, who previously said he knows where Quiboloy is hiding.
“Any statement na nagsasabi kung asan ‘yung tao ay talagang pinag-aaralan namin kung talagang papasok doon sa PD 1829, and we are just waiting for witnesses so the PNP can file a case,” Marbil said.
Duterte is the appointed administrator of properties belonging to KOJC.
Quiboloy has standing arrest warrants for child and sexual abuse issued by the Davao City Regional Trial Court and human trafficking issued by a Pasig City court. The cases are non-bailable.
On June 10, police officers, including the elite Special Action Force troops, visited five properties in Davao province belonging to Quiboloy in a bid to serve his arrest warrant.
They failed to find him and his co-accused.
Supporters of Quiboloy gathered outside the properties to prevent the police from entering the compounds.
Six KOJC members who allegedly attacked the police were charged for obstruction of justice.
The KOJC claimed PNP’s procedure in arresting the fugitive preacher was unlawful and unconstitutional.