P749M shabu discovered inside ‘balikbayan’ boxes at Manila port

Photo courtesy: PDEA via Sentro Balita / PTV News

By Ferdinand Patinio | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and the Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Monday seized over 110 kilograms of suspected shabu worth around P749 million inside four “balikbayan” boxes at the Manila International Container Port in Tondo, Manila.

According to PDEA, the illegal drugs were seized during an interdiction operation conducted at around 11:30 a.m. inside Container Facility Station 3, where the boxes arriving from California and addressed to recipients in Mandaluyong and Quezon City were inspected.

Authorities then discovered at least 106 vacuum-sealed plastic packs filled with white crystalline substances carefully concealed in boxes of cereal, snack packs, and instant noodles.

Initial testing confirmed that the seized substances were methamphetamine hydrochloride or shabu, the PDEA said, adding that all evidence has been secured and sent for further laboratory analysis and case documentation.

The PDEA said the shipments were packed in multiple layers to avoid detection.

While no suspects have been arrested so far, authorities are now working to identify those behind the shipment and trace any local contacts connected to the smuggling attempt.

“This interdiction is the result of constant vigilance and close coordination among our agencies,” PDEA Director General Isagani Nerez said. “Every time we stop illegal drugs at our ports, we protect countless families and communities from their harmful effects.”

PDEA’s Seaport Interdiction Unit led the operation, with the support of the Regional Office NCR K9 Unit, the PDEA Regional Office NCR Manila District Office, the BOC’s Anti-Illegal Drugs Task Force, and the Philippine Coast Guard.

The operation underscores the government’s efforts to tighten border security and stop the entry of illegal drugs into the country, in line with the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to intensify interdiction measures in all ports of entry.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...