Pacquiao urges WBO to act on GAB protest on Horn fight decision

MANILA, July 5 — Boxer-senator Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday urged the World Boxing Association (WBO) to take appropriate action on the letter sent by the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) requesting to review the boxing bout between Pacquiao and Australian boxer Jeff Horn for “possible errors” of the referee and judges.

It may be recalled that Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight world title to Horn in a unanimous decision last July 2 (Sunday). However, several boxing followers took to social media their disagreement on the decision.

“WBO should take appropriate action on the letter sent by the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) so as not to erode the people’s interest in boxing,” Pacquiao said in a press statement.

The senator-boxer said that he already “accepted” the decision but also felt it is his responsibility to “uphold” sportsmanship.

“On my part, I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time, fighter I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public. I love boxing and I don’t wanna see it dying because of unfair decision and officiating,” he added.

In a letter from GAB Chairman Abrahan Mitra addressed to WBO President Fransico Valcarcel, he congratulated the organization for the holding of the Pacquiao vs Horn boxing bout in Brisbane, Australia over the weekend.

The letter was also signed by GAB Commissioners Eduard Trinidad and Matthew Gaston.

However, he also said that he stood by the sentiment of many boxing followers on “possible errors” of the referee and judges who officiated the fight.

“While we respect the decision, we are constrained to request for a thorough review by the WBO for possible miscalls of the referee where some deductions were not made and of the judges in their judging that have caused varying opinions on their objectivity,” his letter read.

Mitra said that the letter sought to protect the integrity of the sport and improve boxing as an industry.

“We are making this request for a review, which may call for sanctions on the referee and judges if so warranted, in furtherance of our mutual goal of protecting the integrity of the sport and even improving the boxing industry that we all love,” he added. (Azer N. Parrocha/PNA)

Popular

AFP: VP security group reorganized, not disbanded

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) clarified that the Vice Presidential Security and Protection Group (VPSPG)...

Myanmar quake death toll passes 3,300: state media

By Agence France-Presse The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen above 3,300, state media said Saturday (April 5), as the United...

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...