Pakistan detects 1st case of Omicron variant

Xinhua News Agency

Pakistan has confirmed the first case of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 virus in its southern Sindh province, said an official on Thursday (Dec. 9).

Sindh Health Department Media Coordinator Mehar Khursheed told Xinhua that the first case was detected on Wednesday after conducting genomic sequencing on samples taken from a female at the Aga Khan University Hospital in the southern port city of Karachi.

The woman had no symptoms and she has been isolated at her home, said the official, adding that she had not been vaccinated.

The official further said that the deputy commissioner of the eastern district of Karachi has been asked to impose a micro smart lockdown.

Another official from the health department told Xinhua that the authorities had already initiated a quick mechanism to figure out the patient’s contacts, adding that two of her contacts have been tested positive but the virus was not the Omicron variant.

According to official data, the country had confirmed overall 1,288,053 cases as of Wednesday night, including 1,249,421 recoveries and 28,803 deaths.

The country has 9,829 active cases who are under treatment in different hospitals, including 771 who are in critical condition.

The Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority had also revised travel guidelines for the passengers coming from abroad starting on Wednesday midnight, including the requirement of complete vaccination and negative PCR test report conducted within 48 hours before traveling. (Xinhua) – jlo

 

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...