Palace stresses ‘shared responsibility’ in political caravans for 2022 polls

By Alec Go

Malacanang reminded attendees, local governments, and organizers of political caravans of their “shared responsibility” on the conduct of political gatherings before the campaign period amid the threat posed by COVID-19.

Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said in a Palace briefing today (Dec. 10) that attendees should ensure that they are fully vaccinated and are observing minimum public health standards. 

“Dito sa laban against COVID, kailangan nating lahat magtulungan. So una, sa mga nagpa-participate sa mga caravans na ito, itong mga supporters, tandaan natin na mask, hugas, iwas, bakuna,” he said. 

“I hope that we take our shared responsibility seriously, given na ang haba na ng pinagdaanan natin for how many months in this war against COVID-19. Huwag nating sayangin ang efforts ng lahat,” he added.

Nograles also reminded local government units and local officials to implement public health guidelines of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) and the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

He said the DILG has been conducting assessment and coordinating with local governments following the reported gathering of huge crowds without physical distancing.

Discussions are also ongoing with the Commission on Elections (Comelec) before the campaign period begins.

“But in the meantime, it’s really with the DILG and the LGUs, the barangays to really step-up efforts ‘no to ensure na lahat ng minimum public health standards and protocols natin ay sinusunod,” he said.

Read more: DILG reminds national and local candidates that political rallies are not allowed, says wait for the official start of the campaign period

Earlier this month, DILG Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya expressed alarm over the conduct of several campaign events during the pandemic, and while the campaign period has not yet commenced. -rir

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...