Palace hopes Maguindanao massacre verdict to be out soon

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Malacañang on Thursday expressed hope that the court would soon reach a decision to convict the principal suspect in the 2009 Maguindanao massacre of 58 persons, including 32 media workers, within the year.

“Everyone always wants decision from the courts to be sooner than one would wish,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing.

“Di ba ang reklamo nga dito sa’tin palaging pinapatagal ang mga kaso (Remember, people always complain about our cases taking too long to reach a verdict),” he added.

Last year, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he believed the 2009 Maguindanao massacre case would be resolved within the year.

Principal accused Datu Unsay town mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr. among others are now awaiting the decision on the murder case filed against them in connection with the 2009 Maguindanao massacre.

On November 23, 2009, a total of 58 people were kidnapped and massacred while on their way to file the certificate of candidacy of Esmael Mangudadatu in the town of Ampatuan, Maguindanao. Mangudadatu is a political rival of the Ampatuan family.

It has also been described as the single deadliest episode for journalists in history.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...