Palace lauds PH accession to cybercrime convention

MANILA — Malacañang on Monday lauded the accession of the Philippines to a cybercrime convention as part of efforts to fight crimes on the internet.

The Philippines joined 56 other countries on the Budapest Convention on Cybercrime after the Senate on Feb. 19 concurred on the accession.

President Rodrigo R. Duterte signed the accession last December 2016.

“The Philippines will now be a party on the Budapest Convention on Cybercrime along with 56 other countries,” Roque said in a Palace briefing.

Roque described this development as a “landmark” to help the country combat crimes committed on the internet.

“With the landmark signing of this convention, the Philippines can now squarely address the issues brought about by Cybercrime at both the domestic and international levels including its facilitation, investigation and prosecution,” Roque said.

Last week, Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II expressed gratitude to both Duterte and the Senate for the country’s move to join international efforts to combat cybercrime.

Aguirre said that the accession to the convention will “level the playing field between the Philippines and foreign counterparts in pursuing a common criminal policy aimed at the protection of society against cybercrimes.”

The Budapest Convention provides the needed mechanisms for the eradication of cybercrimes by facilitating their detection, investigation, and prosecution at both the domestic and international levels, and by providing arrangements for rapid and reliable international cooperation.

One of the main features of the convention is the establishment of central authorities which will enable state-parties to ensure the provision of immediate assistance for investigation and prosecution of cybercrime and/or cyber-related cases, or for the collection of electronic evidence which may be situated anywhere in the world. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...