Palace to Mabilog: File writ of amparo

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque in a press briefing held in the municipal hall of Alimodian, Iloilo.

ILOILO CITY –Former city mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog should file a writ of amparo if he thinks that there is really a threat in his life.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque made the statement after he was asked by one of the members of Iloilo media here about the assurance of the safety of the former mayor upon his return to the country.

“File a writ of amparo and ask for protection from our courts,” he said on Saturday.

The writ of amparo “is a remedy available to any person whose right to life, liberty and security is violated or threatened with violation by an unlawful act or omission of a public official or employee, or of a private individual or entity. The writ shall cover extralegal killings and enforced disappearances or threats thereof.”

President Rodrigo R. Duterte has recently again  lashed out at Mabilog.

Roque made it clear that President Duterte has no personal hatred against Mabilog.

He said that the former mayor should go back to the country to clear his name and face the accusations linking him to the illegal drug activities.

The presidential spokesperson reiterated that the flight of Mabilog to other country is an “evidence of guilt”.

“But as long as he is still hiding, (that is) a continuing sign of guilt,” he said in a Malacanang press briefing at the Municipal Hall of Alimodian,Iloilo.

Roque arrived here Saturday noon to attend the kick-off of the Himud-os festival of the town.

He said Mabilog is in the drug list provided by the different law enforcement agencies of the government.

Mabilog has reportedly left the country last year together with his wife and children for security reasons.

Last October, Mabilog was ordered dismissed by the Office of the Ombudsman having found him “guilty of serious dishonesty relative to his unlawful acquisition of wealth”.

In January this year, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales has meted Mabilog with another dismissal for an anomalous towing deal way back in 2015. (PNA) 

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...