Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

Photo courtesy: PCO

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet

Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th State of the Nation Address in July, which includes an onsite inspection of said structures in Bulacan and Benguet and a foiled bribery attempt against a neophyte lawmaker, Malacañang condemned a murder attempt on a contractor in Negros Oriental last week amid a probe into these flawed flood mitigation projects.

Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. tasked the Philippine National Police (PNP) to heighten peace and order measures following this incident.

Castro said, “Tama lang po na imbestigahan iyan para malaman natin ang puno’t dulo niya at kinukondena natin ang mga karahasan na ito.” 

She added, “At ipag-uutos pa rin ng Pangulo na dapat seryosohin ito lalo na ng mga PNP para maiwasan kung anumang krimen ang maidudulot nito kaugnay sa pag-iimbestiga sa flood control projects.”

The victim, identified as 58-year-old engineer and contractor Angelito Mendoza, sustained gunshot wounds after being shot by yet unidentified motorcycle-riding suspects while en route to a quarry site in Santa Catalina, Negros Oriental.

Persons of interest were already identified by the authorities, but the police declined to disclose their identities in light of an ongoing investigation.

Bolstering national security

Castro, meanwhile, provided reassurance to the masses that the government is on top of matters concerning national security, with domestic security forces adequately equipped to neutralize threats posed by foreign “sleeper giants” or spies.

The Palace Press briefer reiterated the National Security Council’s (NSC) statement on the matter after Senator Panfilo Lacson disclosed the alleged operations of many Chinese sleeper agents in the country.

Castro told reporters, “We cannot go into specifics for security reasons, but we can assure the public that our security forces are actively monitoring and addressing these threats. The government does not take espionage lightly, and we act swiftly when credible intelligence is verified.”

She emphasized, further quoting the NSC, “Recent operations have already led to the arrest of suspected foreign operatives, which shows that our agencies are not standing still. We are working closely with law enforcement and intelligence units to dismantle espionage networks wherever they may be.”

av

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...