Palace to assist Filipina held for drugs in Malaysia

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo

MANILA — Malacañang vowed to provide assistance to the Filipino citizen arrested in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia for alleged drug trafficking of 5.9 kilograms of shabu.

“The government will provide her with free legal assistance to protect her rights as she is a Filipino citizen,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement on Thursday.

“She could be an innocent courier and not a drug pusher or drug trafficker,” he added.

Panelo said that the Palace will extend legal aid to help free her if she is found “unfairly” guilty, but will comply with Malaysian law if evidence confirms that she is indeed involved in the illegal drug trade.

“If she is found guilty unfairly by the Malaysian court, then we can avail of legal remedies available under the Malaysian legal system to exonerate her,” Panelo said.

“But if evidence proves that she is deeply involved in drug trafficking, then we will let the law take its course,” he added.

Reports showed that the Sabah police arrested the 32-year-old Filipina at around midnight on Tuesday (July 23).

She will be held until July 29 pending investigation and may face a possible death sentence.

At least 48 Filipinos are on death row in Malaysia, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...