Palace urges Zaldy Co to answer corruption allegations; defends Azurin’s appointment to ICI

Palace Press Officer Claire Castro holds a press briefing at Malacañang on Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2025. (Photo courtesy: RTVM)

By Brian Campued

Malacañang on Tuesday urged former Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Zaldy Co to respond to the allegations against him over his supposed links to anomalous flood control projects.

In a press briefing, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said Co will not be able to evade the accusations against him despite his resignation from the House of Representatives.

“Kung nababanggit ang kaniyang pangalan, definitely, kailangan niya po itong sagutin dahil kung hindi niya po ito masasagot at iiwasan niya, lalabas lamang po siyang guilty,” Castro said. “So, mas mainam po na maipaliwanag niya ang kaniyang side.”

Co, who initially flew to the United States to seek medical treatment, was ordered by new House Speaker Faustino “Bojie” Dy III to return to the Philippines as his travel clearance has also been revoked.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) said it has requested the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) to issue a “blue notice” to help locate Co. However, Interpol has yet to respond to the DOJ’s request, Castro said.

The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) on Monday recommended the filing of charges against Co and several officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) as well as Sunwest Inc. for a questionable flood control project in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro.

On Azurin’s capability for ICI post

Malacañang likewise defended the appointment of former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Rodolfo Azurin Jr. as the new special adviser to the ICI following Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong’s resignation on Friday.

According to Castro, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. chose Azurin based on the latter’s experience as an investigator when he was still in the police force.

“Ayon sa Pangulo, ang pagkakapili po kay General Azurin ay base na rin po sa kaniyang karanasan, sa kaniyang mga kagalingan. Siya rin naman po ay imbestigador at walang komplikasyon doon, hindi po kasi siya politiko,” she explained.

When asked about Azurin’s alleged link to the supposed cover-up of a drug haul in Manila in 2022, the Palace official clarified that the former top cop was not among those charged.

“Madali po kasing mag-namedrop, madaling magbanggit ng pangalan, madaling magturo lalo na ngayon pero iba po kasi kapag nakasuhan at nagkaroon ng desisyon ng conviction,” Castro said.

-av

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...