PNP sends DOJ more evidence on ‘sabungeros’ case

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has submitted additional files and documents to the Department of Justice (DOJ) as part of the continuing investigation into the missing sabungeros (cockfight aficionados) case, PNP Acting Chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said on Tuesday.

Nartatez said in a statement, “The submission of these files is part of our continuing effort to build a strong and credible case. These documents contain additional pieces of evidence gathered through painstaking investigation and are now with the Department of Justice for proper evaluation.”

“While we cannot disclose details due to the sensitivity of the case, we believe they will help establish accountability and aid in the identification of those responsible.”

He added that this was in line with the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and under the guidance of Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla to pursue a thorough, impartial, and evidence-based investigation into the case of the missing sabungeros.

The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group submitted five flash drives and new witness affidavits to DOJ prosecutors handling the preliminary investigation into the missing sabungeros. The investigation covers murder and kidnapping, with serious illegal detention complaints filed by the PNP and the victims’ families against Charlie “Atong” Ang, Gretchen Barretto, and others.

The PNP official said, “We assure the families of the missing sabungeros that the PNP remains fully committed to pursuing this case until justice is achieved. We recognize their long and painful wait for answers, and we continue to exert all efforts to bring closure. 

“This includes exhausting all leads, providing evidence to the DOJ, and ensuring that no angle is left unchecked.”

While timelines in complex cases depend on judicial proceedings, he assured that the PNP is pressing forward without letup in close coordination with the DOJ.

Nartatez said, “The PNP operates on the principle that no one is above the law. Our mandate is to enforce the law impartially, and we will not allow power or connections to interfere with the investigation or the pursuit of justice.”

Last month, the DOJ filed a complaint for multiple murder and serious illegal detention against Ang in connection with the disappearance of the sabungeros.

It was whistleblower Julie Patidongan (also known as Dondon or Totoy) who pointed to Ang as the mastermind behind the reported kidnapping-killings. Ang had denied the allegations. (PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...