Palace welcomes PSA report on 2017 banana output

MANILA — Malacañang on Tuesday welcomed the report of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) on the increase of the country’s 2017 banana production.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, in a Palace briefing, noted that Philippine banana production in 2017 expanded by almost three percent to 9.166 million metric tons (MMT) from 8.903 MMT in 2016.

Citing the PSA report, Roque said that the growth could be attributed to the increase in area and number of bearing hills harvested from the plantation farms in northern Mindanao.

Moreover, additional expansion areas from corporate farms in Soccsksargen and relatively good weather last year also helped increase production.

Roque also welcomed the report of the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) that a total of 545 farmer beneficiaries from seven municipalities in North Cotabato received their respective certificates of land ownership award over the weekend.

Figures from DAR show that a total of 849.2077 hectares of lands were covered during the distribution.

Duterte has earlier pushed for efforts to help the farmers in the country rise from poverty. (Azer Parrocha/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...