Palawan PESO to increase SPES beneficiaries

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan — The Palawan Public Employment and Services Office (PESO) is increasing the number of beneficiaries of its Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) this year.

Richard Rebote, the manager and chief manpower development officer of the PESO, said Tuesday that for 2018, an estimated 665 students would benefit from SPES in the whole province compared to last year’s 500

The number of beneficiaries increased this year because there were municipalities last year that were not given slots, said Rebote.

Students who could benefit from the student employment program should be within the ages 15-25, he said.

“When it comes to work assignments, they will be assisting the regular personnel and staff of various offices. They’re not allowed to do major taskings,” he said.

The SPES is mandated under Republic Act No. 7323 to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by encouraging their employment during summer and/or Christmas vacations through incentives granted to employers, allowing them to pay only 60 percent of their salaries or wages and 40 percent through education vouchers.

It is a component of the national government’s Kabataan 2000 Program along with the Work Appreciation Program (WAP) of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

SPES aims to develop the intellectual capacities of children of poor families and harness their potential for the country’s well-being. (Celeste Anna Formoso/PNA)

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...