PBBM ‘disappointed’ over failure to bring Zaldy Co home —Palace

Photo courtesy: PCO / PTV News.

By Brian Campued

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. expressed “disappointment” over the failure to bring back fugitive Zaldy Co to the Philippines, Malacañang said Tuesday, as the authorities confirmed that the former lawmaker is no longer in the Czech Republic.

In a press briefing, Palace Press Officer Claire Castro, citing an update from the Department of Foreign Affairs, said that Co is now in France where he is seeking political asylum.

“Sa kasalukuyan, kumpirmadong wala na sa kustodiya ng Czech authorities si Zaldy Co,” Castro announced, adding that he “has been requested to be transferred to and is now under the jurisdiction of French authorities.”

According to the DFA, Castro said, the former lawmaker can travel around not only in France but within the Schengen Area.

She said that all Philippine missions in Europe have also been instructed to obtain official confirmation on Co’s whereabouts, but declined to disclose Co’s exact location to avoid disrupting government efforts.

Co was reportedly stopped at the Czech-Germany border due to lack of proper travel documents and was placed under Czech custody, prompting the President to order a high-level coordination team led by the Department of Justice to facilitate Co’s return to the Philippines.

“Nakausap po mismo natin ang Pangulo ngayong araw, at sinabi niya na disappointed siya dahil malapit na sana nating napauwi si Zaldy Co,” Castro said, noting that the Philippine government has to respect the laws and policies in the foreign countries involved.

She also stressed that Marcos will not interfere with the French government’s decision on Co’s asylum application.

Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro holds a press briefing in Malacañang on Tuesday, April 28, 2026. (Photo courtesy: RTVM via PCO)

Despite these, the Palace official said that Marcos will meet with the Czech and French envoys on Wednesday to discuss possible lapses and actions regarding Co’s status.

Part of the discussion, Castro said, will focus on what other countries can do to assist the Philippines, in line with the United Nations Convention Against Corruption as Co is facing malversation charges over alleged anomalies in flood control projects.

“Nananatiling matatag ang posisyon ng pamahalaan, we will work with foreign governments through every legal channel available under international laws to bring Zaldy Co home… Gagawin natin ang lahat nang naaayon sa batas at sa diplomatikong proseso,” Castro assured.

In a statement, the DFA clarified that it had cancelled Co’s regular and diplomatic passport after a court order in December 2025, and then reported the cancellation of passports to the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol).

“With regard to his other regular passport which expired in September 2022 and which may have been used by Mr. Co to cross to Germany from the Czech Republic, this need not be cancelled since its expiration rendered it unusable for international travel,” the DFA said.

-av

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...