PBBM orders creation of El Niño task force to mitigate its effect

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. leads the sectoral meeting in Malacañang on Dec. 12, 2023 to address the possible effects of El Niño phenomenon. (Photo courtesy of Presidential Communications Office)

Presidential Communications Office

President Ferdinand R. Marcos on Tuesday, Dec. 12, ordered the creation of a coordinating body to consolidate all measures to mitigate the impacts of the El Niño phenomenon, which is expected to persist until the end of the second quarter of next year.

In a sectoral meeting in Malacañang, President Marcos said the task force will be led by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) under the Office of the President.

“We’ll have to organize first the task force. This is the time to put every [condition] together,” Marcos said.

The President stressed the need to prioritize efforts based on short-term and long-term interventions of the government.

Based on the National Action Plan for El Niño, the government has identified five sectors where plans and activities are being laid out to mitigate the effects of El Nino, namely in water, food, power, health, and public safety.

DOST reports showed that 65 provinces across the country have potential for drought, while there are around 6 provinces with potential for dry spell.

The President stressed the need to intensify efforts and ensure timely release of assistance to affected areas.

Marcos also told officials to encourage the public to take part in the government efforts. He stressed the need for a massive information campaign that would remind the people to conserve resources, such as water and energy. PND

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...