PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

Photo courtesy: PCO

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment, Jacob Helberg, at Malacañang on Tuesday to discuss expanding Philippine-U.S. economic cooperation, including the Luzon Economic Corridor (LEC), which is projected to generate up to 1 million jobs for Filipinos.

In a social media post, the Presidential Communications Office (PCO) said discussions centered on the LEC, Pax Silica initiatives, investment and technology partnerships, supply chain cooperation, and other key trade priorities between the Philippines and the U.S.

“The LEC, in particular, is envisioned to generate up to 1 million jobs for Filipinos and help drive double-digit economic growth for the country,” the PCO said.

The Luzon Economic Corridor is among the flagship initiatives jointly supported by the Philippines, the US, and Japan aimed at accelerating infrastructure connectivity, semiconductor development, logistics modernization, clean energy investments, and digital transformation in Luzon.

The meeting reaffirmed both countries’ commitment to strengthening economic and trade relations amid growing cooperation in strategic industries and emerging technologies.

The Philippines and the US are marking this year the 80th anniversary of diplomatic relations and the 75th anniversary of the Mutual Defense Treaty.

Malacañang said the milestone highlights the “longstanding partnership that continues to expand beyond security into economic growth, innovation, and shared prosperity.”

The US remains one of the Philippines’ top trading partners, a major foreign investor, and a longstanding development and security ally in the Indo-Pacific region. (PNA)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...