PCG: Purchase of 40 fast patrol crafts a ‘game-changer’

Philippine Coast Guard logo (Background photo courtesy of PCG/FILE)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

The planned acquisition of 40 fast patrol boats is a “game-changer” in the Philippines Coast Guard’s (PCG) quest for modernization, PCG Commandant Adm. Ronnie Gavan said Thursday.

In a Palace press briefing, Gavan said it was the largest single-purchase in the PCG modernization thrust.

“It is the largest, so far, single-purchase in the modernization of the Philippine Coast Guard. It is a game-changer for us. It will enable the Philippine Coast Guard to have at least two patrol boats in every district, fast enough to reach edges of our socio-economic zone forms to enforce the laws,” Gavan said. 

Some of the vessels will be deployed in the West Philippine Sea as part of the PCG’s “mix of capabilities” to address security threats in Philippine waters, the PCG chief said. 

The vessels are also expected to enhance the drive against smuggling, drug trafficking, piracy, illegal fishing, and other forms of maritime crime.  

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., during the board meeting of the National Economic and Development Authority on Tuesday, approved the acquisition of 40 fast patrol boats, of which 20 will be assembled in the Philippines as part of the administration’s initiative to enhance maritime security by upgrading the country’s shipbuilding capabilities. 

The project will be funded through a P25.8 billion official development assistance from the French government. Delivery is expected by 2027.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...