PCSO optimistic of lottery tech systems upgrade this year

MANILA — The Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) is set to upgrade its 20-year-old system and is confident that it would be able to bid out this year the PHP10.906-billion Nationwide Online Lottery System (NOLS) project.

This was bared by PCSO General Manager Alexander Balutan on Monday.

Balutan said the bidding for the project was stalled since last year by court cases filed by the Philippine Gaming Management Corp. (PGMC), a Malaysian-controlled firm, but he said there’s a “light at the end of the tunnel” after the provider expressed desire to cooperate.

“I’ve been informed that PGMC will withdraw all their cases in the courts, also at the request of the PCSO so that we can proceed with the bidding for the NOLS,” Balutan said in a statement.

The project aims for centralized technology systems for PCSO’s lottery games draws for Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao.

At present, PGMC is the service provider for Luzon, while the Pacific Online Systems Corp. (POSC) conducts draws for Visayas and Mindanao. Both firms are listed in the Philippines Stock Exchange (PSE).

But their Equipment Lease Agreements (ELAs) are going to expire in the middle of this year.

In July 2017, Presiding Judge Maximo de Leon of the Makati City Regional Trial Court, Branch 143 granted temporary restraining order (TRO) in favor of PGMC against the NOLS bidding participated by at least 17 firms who bought bid documents.

The court action dismayed the officials and employees of PCSO because they said the state-of-the-art lottery systems would give wider market share that will guarantee government funds and that cost cheaper than the current lottery lease system.

Balutan said the lottery systems and technology upgrade would also enhance the capability of the more than 10,000 lotto outlets nationwide supervised by PCSO.

“We’ve to have state-of-the-art systems and technology for our lottery games,” Balutan stressed.

He also pointed out that the bidding would be the first ever in the history of PCSO.

“Because previously, it was just an ELA, merely equipment lease agreement. There was no bidding done when they were tapped in 1996. Their (PGMC and POSC) ELAs will terminate by July and August this year, respectively,” Balutan said.

“Through this bidding, we can upgrade the quality of the system and equipment and games so that our nationwide lotto system can be modernized, because we have fallen behind with the lotto systems in other countries,” Balutan added. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...