PDEA destroys P489-M illegal drugs in Central Visayas

REINFORCING THE GOVERNMENT’S STANCE ON NARCOTICS. PDEA Region 7 destroyed almost half-a-million pesos worth of illegal drugs on Thursday (Nov. 14), sending a clear message to the public that these dangerous substances have no place in PH society. (Photo courtesy of Cebu City PIO/Facebook)

By John Rey Saavedra | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) on Thursday destroyed P489 million worth of dangerous drugs, the biggest destruction in Central Visayas since 2017, an anti-narcotics official said.

Alex Tablate, regional director of PDEA-7, said that more than 71 kilos of shabu, 3 kilograms of marijuana, 55 tablets of ecstasy, and other dangerous drugs—all amounting to P489,415,611—were fed to a thermal chamber of the Cosmopolitan Funeral Homes in the downtown area here, following a court order.

Tablate said the destruction was the second for this year, and the biggest in volume so far in the region in seven years.

“Before the destruction, the substances were tested by PDEA-7 chemists in front of witnesses to dispel doubts that the substances were replaced,” he told the media before the drugs were fed to the thermal chamber.

The burning was witnessed by an elected public official and representatives from the Department of Justice, Public Attorney’s Office, civil society, and media as mandated under Republic Act 9165 and Dangerous Drugs Board Regulation No. 1-2002 on the proper custody and disposition of seized dangerous drugs.

Judge Ruelo Saladaga, Presiding Judge of Regional Trial Court 69, Lapu-Lapu City, who witnessed the destruction, highlighted in his message the importance of the holistic strategy of the country’s anti-illegal drugs campaign and of the court’s strong commitment to upholding justice.

According to Tablate, the destruction of the dangerous drugs seized from different personalities was through thermal decomposition, a method of breaking down chemicals by heat at 1,000 degrees Celsius.

The drugs destroyed were seized during various operations from 2003 to 2024 in Cebu and Bohol provinces and the three highly urbanized cities of Cebu, Mandaue, and Lapu-Lapu conducted by the PDEA and the Philippine National Police.

Since 2017, Central Visayas has already destroyed a total of P2.36 billion worth of illegal drugs.

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...