PH assumes coordinatorship for ASEAN-China Dialogue

MANILA — The Philippines has officially taken over from Singapore the role of country coordinator for the China-Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Dialogue.

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato said the Philippines’ coordinatorship began Thursday, right after a meeting between the foreign ministers of ASEAN and China.

DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano, before leaving for Singapore, said the Philippines will be playing a “crucial role” as the country coordinator for the dialogue, particularly as both parties work towards the early conclusion of the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea (COC).

“We have a very good window to not only include but make part of the whole code of conduct the protection of marine environment,” he told reporters in a press conference last week.

The 10-member bloc and China have already expressed hopes on the COC’s conclusion by November 2018, when ASEAN leaders and its dialogue partners meet for the ASEAN Summit.

Meanwhile, the joint communique of the 51st ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting revealed that ASEAN and China had agreed on a Single Draft COC Negotiating Text during the 15th ASEAN-China Senior Officials’ Meeting on the Implementation of the DOC on June 27. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...