PH, Australia, Canada hold maritime drills in WPS

HMCS Ville de Québec (FFH332) conducts a crossdeck hoisting operation with HMAS Brisbane (DDG41), during a maritime cooperative activity under Exercise ALON on August 23.

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), together with the Australian Defense Force (ADF) and the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN), held a maritime cooperative activity under Exercise Alon on Saturday in the West Philippine Sea, west-southwest of El Nido, Palawan.

Participating warships included the Philippine Navy’s flagship BRP Jose Rizal (FF-150), the Royal Australian Navy’s HMAS Brisbane (DDG-41), and the Royal Canadian Navy’s HMCS Ville de Québec (FFH-332).

The exercise featured helicopter cross-deck landings, personnel transfers via MH-60 Seahawk and rigid-hulled inflatable boats (RHIBs), as well as ship-to-ship interoperability drills.

The AFP said the engagement “reflects a shared resolve to uphold a rules-based international order in the Indo-Pacific and reinforces the commitment of the Philippines, Australia, and Canada to promote freedom of navigation, regional stability, and collective maritime security.”

PH-Australia defense ties

The joint sail comes a day after the 2nd Philippines–Australia Defense Ministers’ Meeting in Manila, where Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. and Australian Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles reaffirmed defense cooperation as a vital pillar of the Philippines–Australia strategic partnership.

In a joint statement Saturday, both sides “underscored the importance of a secure and stable Indo-Pacific region where sovereignty is respected, international law is adhered to, and nations exercise their rights free from coercion.”

They also “expressed serious concern over the situation in the South China Sea, particularly dangerous and coercive actions by China against Philippine vessels,” stressing that the 2016 South China Sea Arbitral Tribunal Award is final and binding on the parties.

Teodoro and Marles said they “resolved to continue working together to uphold international law and support regional maritime security,” while committing to deepen collaboration under existing agreements, such as the Status of Visiting Forces Agreement (SOVFA) and the Mutual Logistic Support Arrangement (MLSA).

They also welcomed “new cooperation on defense infrastructure development in the Philippines,” projects that will “increase our combined collective capability, enhance interoperability, and strengthen bilateral and multilateral defense cooperation.”

Exercise Alon has emerged as the flagship bilateral drill between Manila and Canberra, complementing the Philippines’ debut participation in Australia’s large-scale Talisman Sabre 2025 earlier this year. For Australia, it is the largest overseas military exercise in 2025, reflecting Canberra’s commitment to building defense partnerships in the region.

The defense officials also vowed to meet again next year for the 3rd Philippines and Australia Defense Ministers Meeting as both countries look to further deepen defense ties. (With report from Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...