PH not in business to instigate war, but will stand firm vs. foreign threats — PBBM

MISSION NOT YET OVER. President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. visited the Western Command of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan on Sunday, June 23, 2024. During his talk to the troops, Marcos lauded the efforts of the military to defend the Philippines’ maritime domain and likewise urged them to continue performing their mission. (Photo courtesy of PCO)

By Brian Jules Campued

The Philippines will not resort to war, but will continue to push for a peaceful resolution in addressing the issues in the West Philippine Sea and exert all efforts to defend the country’s territory, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. said.

In a speech during his visit to Camp General Artemio Ricarte, headquarters of the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ (AFP) Western Command (Wescom) in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan on Sunday, President Marcos clarified that the “calm and peaceful disposition” of the government should not be mistaken as a sign of submission to foreign powers.

“We are not in the business to instigate wars — our great ambition is to provide a peaceful and prosperous life for every Filipino. This is the drum beat, this is the principle that we live by and that we march by,” Marcos said.

“We refuse to play by the rules that force us to choose sides in a great power competition. No government that truly exists in the service of the people will invite danger or harm to lives and livelihood,” he added.

The President’s visit came after the latest incident in Ayungin Shoal on June 17 where the China Coast Guard (CCG) rammed, boarded, damaged, and looted Philippine military boats, as well as brandished bladed weapons and threatened Filipino troops during a rotation and resupply mission. The incident also resulted in one Navy personnel losing a thumb.

The Commander-in-Chief also awarded the Order of Lapu-Lapu with the Rank of Kamagi to 79 soldiers involved in the incident, while the Order of Lapu-Lapu Rank of Kampilan was conferred to the injured Navy trooper.

“You demonstrated to the world that the Filipino spirit is one that is brave, determined, and yet is compassionate,” Marcos said.

He also commended the Western Command for exercising restraint amid intense provocation by the CCG, adding that he has “never been prouder of the brave women and men” of both the Wescom and the entire AFP.

Marcos, likewise, assured the military that the government will continue to provide their needs and look after their welfare, including their families, as he rallied them to continue defending the Philippines’ maritime domain and sovereign rights.

“So, on behalf of the Filipino nation, I make this great request to you: continue to fulfill your duty of defending the nation with integrity and respect as you have done so far,” the President said.

“We owe to our forefathers the duty to keep the freedoms that they fought, bled, and died for; and that we presently enjoy. Kailanman ay hindi tayo magpapasupil at magpapaapi kahit na kanino man,” he added. (with report from Bien Manalo/PTV News)

– avds

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...