PH partylist system implementation in need of reform – political expert

By Alec Go

 

The implementation of the Philippine partylist system must be reformed to focus on the representation of sectors, especially the marginalized instead of rich personalities and politicians, a political analyst said.

Earlier this month, President Rodrigo Duterte renewed his call to amend the provision of the current Constitution on the partylist system, saying that any wealthy individuals could use the system to get a Congressional seat.

In an interview with PTV Digital, political analyst Ramon Casiple said the implementation of the system was altered which had gone distant from the “partylist system as originally conceived.”

“’Yung konsepto ng partylist system, actually ano ‘yan pagkilala nung sa pagbagsak ni Marcos na involved ‘yung mga tao. Kaya pinalaki ‘yung political space ng participation,” he said.

“Dapat kung nagkaroon talaga ng sinsero na pagpapatupad niyan, mga sectoral lalo na ‘yung nakararaming mahihirap na mga sektor ang dapat na nandiyan lang. Wala dapat diyan ‘yung mga mayayaman, wala dapat diyan ‘yung mga politiko,” he added.

Casiple recalled the Commission on Elections’ (Comelec) move to tighten rules for partylist elections which led to the elimination of several partylists and was challenged before the Supreme Court. 

“Sila (Supreme Court) ang nagluwag. Kaya kung may kailangan gawin diyan, ayusin mo sa batas. Para ‘yung mga niluwagan ng Supreme Court at pinasukan ngayon ng iba’t ibang grupo na hindi naman talaga qualified mag-partylist ay maitatabi na kaagad,” he said, referring to a 2013 High Court ruling on allowing non-members of marginalized sectors to run as nominees.

Duterte has repeatedly pointed out flaws in the partylists system implementation and that he “would continue to criticize and say something” about it “until the end of [his] day.”4

“Ganoon ang nangyari. Naagaw ‘yung what was conceived to be a mechanism to give the Filipino — the lowly Filipino na nandiyan sa daan — a voice or voices to be heard in the platform diyan sa halls of Congress,” he said on April 4 in Batangas.  – gb

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...