PH Red Cross COVID-19 tests reach 4-M

By Alec Go

The Philippine Red Cross (PCR) announced Monday morning (Aug. 30) that it has breached the four million-mark on total swab and saliva RT-PCR tests conducted nationwide.

The PRC said the data came from all its 13 molecular laboratories which will continue to strengthen its testing capacity to further reduce COVID-19 cases and mortality. 

“During a pandemic, the ideal response is for our public health system to begin testing so that it can lead to [the] quick identification of cases, quick treatment for those people, and immediate isolation to prevent spread,” PRC Chairperson Sen. Richard Gordon said in a statement.

Aside from testing, PRC data show that 156,709 individuals have been inoculated against COVID-19 under its vaccination drive as of Aug. 29, with 156,709 recipients under PRC Bakuna Centers and 18,689 under its mobile clinic Bakuna Bus.

The Bakuna Bus was launched in late June using buses that were previously utilized for a polio and measles-rubella vaccination rollout.


Meanwhile, Gordon recognized the contribution of healthcare workers he described as “modern-day heroes” in line with today’s commemoration of National Heroes’ Day.

“We cannot win our war against COVID-19 if we don’t take care of our health workers. Sa Philippine Red Cross, marami tayong mga volunteers, mga doctors, nurses, med techs, nursing aid, EMTs, first aiders, araw-araw ‘yan, humaharap sila sa panganib,” he said. 

The senator also called on the provision of what is due to healthcare workers amid appeals and protests demanding the release of health benefits and special risk allowances. 

“Marami na ang mga namatay na health workers natin, at marami na talagang nahihirapan sa araw-araw na pakikipaglaban sa pandemya. Bigyan naman natin sila ng dignidad. Ibigay natin kung ano ang dapat,” he added. – jlo

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...