Philippines to remain under Alert Level 2 until Jan. 15, 2022

By Civ Alonzo-Cruz

Malacañang announced on Thursday (Dec. 30) that the whole country will remain under Alert Level 2 until Jan. 15, 2022, despite concerns on the recorded upticks of COVID-19 cases and the threat of the Omicron coronavirus variant.

Acting Presidential Spokesperson and Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said in a statement that the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) approved the recommendation to maintain all provinces, highly urbanized cities, and independent component cities under Alert Level 2 from Jan. 1, 2022 until Jan. 15, 2022.

Nograles said in a Wednesday afternoon (Dec. 29) press briefing that the alert level in the country could change anytime, even without completing the 15 days given by the government if the IATF sees a surge in the number of COVID-19 cases.

“Hindi po bawal na mag-increase tayo ng alert level sa provinces, highly urbanized cities, [kung] kinakailangan, without even completing iyong 15 days. Nasa guidelines natin ‘yan, nasa policy po natin ‘yan,” he said.

“Kapag may nakitang spike ang IATF sa isang lugar, puwede tayong mag-increase ng alert level kung tumama siya doon sa parameters natin for an increased alert level. We can accelerate [the alert level] immediately kung kinakailangan,” he added.

In the said briefing, Nograles also reminded the local government units (LGUs) to continue enforcing minimum public health standards and to implement a granular lockdown in case of sudden increase of positive cases in their areas.

“Kaya ang panawagan namin sa mga LGUs, please enforce [minimum public health standards]. Kapag tumataas ang bilang ng kaso [ng COVID-19], granular lockdown [kaagad]. Hindi po nawala sa equation ang granular lockdown,” he said.

“Responsibilidad po ng LGUs ang mag-granular lockdown kapag may nakitang clustering of cases. Huwag natin kalimutan iyan. Huwag natin hayaan na lumaki pa ito [COVID-19 cases],” he added.

Nograles said that President Rodrigo Duterte is also worried about the recorded upticks of COVID-19 cases. He said people should not be too complacent even if they already got vaccinated.

“Of course nababahala kami [sa pagtaas ng positive cases], nababahala ang IATF, nababahala si Pangulo [Duterte], nababahala ang buong puwersa ng Malacañang. Dapat ang taumbayan din po [mabahala],” he said.

“Hindi porket bakunado na tayo at naka-booster shot na tayo, nakalimutan na natin ang iwas. Ganoon lang po ka-simple ‘yan, kaya nga paulit-ulit nating nire-remind [ang publiko],” he added. -ag

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...