Piñol shrugs off resignation rumors

By Lilybeth Ison/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol on Wednesday dismissed rumors that he has resigned from his post.

Piñol, in a press briefing, also shrugged off the supposed “joke” of President Rodrigo Duterte during an event in Palawan last week that he (Duterte) wants him out of his Cabinet.

“I don’t own this position. If the President feels that he is not happy with my performance, I go and I will not feel bad, he said.

“I’ve done my best, but if the basis for my resignation is the joke of the President, I’ve heard that 20 times, whether in my presence, or in my absence. I’ve known this guy for the last 25 years, if you don’t know him well, you will be offended. Well of course it’s not comfortable to hear… but unless he calls me and tell me that he no longer needs my services, I will go,” he said.

For the past 25 years, Piñol said: “Hindi ako nangurakot sa posisyon ko (I have never been corrupt) in my position. I would feel that if he (Duterte) feels that he doesn’t need me anymore, patatawag niya ako (he will summon me).”

The DA chief has been placed under the microscope over the agriculture sector’s 0.1 percent contribution to the country’s overall gross domestic product growth in 2018.

“I can humbly say that while I may not have done so much as expected by some sectors, I have maintained a frugal life and resisted temptations. I am working and I will continue to serve the President and the Filipino farmers and fishermen. I’m just doing my job,” he said.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...