PNP Chief orders tight protection for cops in probe of PCSO exec slay

ASSASSINATED. The House Quad-Committee resumes its seventh hearing on Friday (Sept. 27, 2024) regarding the interlocking issues on illegal POGOs, illegal drug trade, and extrajudicial killings under the administration of former President Rodrigo Duterte. During the session, PLt.Col. Santie Mendoza of the Police Drug Enforcement Group implicated former Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) general manager Royina Garma in the 2020 assassination of retired police general and PCSO board secretary Wesley Barayuga. (Photos courtesy of HOR)

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Rommel Francisco Marbil on Tuesday ordered tight security for police officials who have information on the killing of retired police general and Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) board secretary Wesley Barayuga.

“I already ordered the DPRM (Directorate for Personnel Records and Management) to protect [Lt. Col. Santie] Mendoza. His life is in danger, and he will reveal more information,” Marbil said in an interview with reporters on the sidelines of the turnover of office rites at the Police Regional Office (PRO) 3 headquarters in San Fernando City, Pampanga.

Mendoza is currently under restrictive custody in Camp Crame after he revealed during a hearing at the House of Representatives that he was ordered by former PCSO general manager Royina Garma and retired police colonel and now National Police Commission commissioner Edilberto Leonardo to kill Barayuga.

Aside from Mendoza, Col. Hector Grijaldo, a former Mandaluyong City police chief, was also relieved and placed under restrictive custody for possible lapses in the investigation into Barayuga’s killing.

Marbil said he was saddened by Mendoza’s revelation.

“We are not happy because his death became a cold case and why he was included in the drug list when his name was not supposed to be there,” he said.

He vowed to file criminal charges against those involved in the killing and possible cover-up in the investigation, as he directed the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to lead the reinvestigation.

“I don’t want our police to be used in activities like this. All of those who were involved in a possible cover-up will face the court. I want them all to land in jail,” he added.

During the House hearing, Mendoza said it was Leonardo who tasked him to eliminate Barayuga and told him that the reason was that the latter was on a drug watchlist.

He later said that Garma appeared to have set up the killing after Barayuga was provided with a service vehicle.

Barayuga was a member of the Philippine Military Academy Class of 1983. One of his classmates was former Interior Secretary and now National Security Adviser Eduardo Año.

Reports showed that a motorcycle-riding gunman shot Barayuga, who was inside his car on Calbayog St. in Barangay Highway Hills, Mandaluyong City in July 2020.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...