PBBM wants Marawi housing, water woes addressed

MARAWI REHABILITATION. President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. presides over a sectoral meeting on the streamlining of energy project applications and the status of Marawi rehabilitation in Malacañang on Tuesday (Oct. 1, 2024). During the meeting, Marcos ordered Presidential Adviser for Marawi Rehabilitation Secretary Nasser Pangandaman Sr. to double down on the rehabilitation efforts and focus on restoring electricity, water, and housing. (Photo courtesy of Revoli S. Cortez/PPA POOL)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Tuesday called on concerned government agencies to fast-track the rehabilitation of the war-torn Marawi City—especially its reported housing and water woes.

In a sectoral meeting at the Malacañan Palace, Marcos ordered Presidential Adviser for Marawi Rehabilitation Secretary Nasser Pangandaman Sr. to double down on the rehabilitation efforts and focus on restoring electricity, water, and housing.

“You seem to have solutions to most of the issues. ‘Yun na lang, ‘yung installation of the power, and I think, more importantly, ‘yung tubig. We have to get that done as quickly as possible,” Marcos said, as quoted in a Presidential Communications Office news release.

“Wala tayong magagawa ‘pag walang water supply. ‘Yung brownout, you can live with it. ‘Yung walang tubig, hindi talaga,” the President said.

Pangandaman told the Chief Executive that there has been a delay in the implementation of the Bulk Water Supply Project by the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) due to legal challenges.

The issue is already being addressed by the government, he said, noting that the LWUA has committed to finish the project within four months, or before the end of 2024.

The President also stressed the need to immediately address issues concerning shelters for residents affected by the Marawi siege.

The previous administration had an agreement with some private landowners to temporarily use their property for five years, pending the construction of permanent shelters for Marawi siege victims.

But the contract has already lapsed, Pangandaman said.

Marcos ordered Pangandaman to ask the private landowners if they could extend the contract to accommodate the victims.

The President said now is the right time for the administration to adopt a more systematic approach to the Marawi rehabilitation efforts, following the issuance of Administrative Order 14, Series of 2023, which institutionalized the recovery, reconstruction, and rehabilitation efforts in Marawi City and streamlined the functions of implementing agencies involved.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...