PNP Region 6 backs up measures to clean up Boracay

MANILA — In line with upcoming influx of visitors in tourist destinations, Philippine National Police Director General Ronald dela Rosa confirmed that the Police Regional Office 6 (PRO-6) based in Iloilo will be working closely with other government agencies to enforce security, law enforcement and environmental laws in Boracay Island.

Dela Rosa explained that Western Visayas Deputy Chief for Operations (DCO) Fernando Mendez has been among those planning for the Boracay cleanup as ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte.

The President earlier said he would place the area under a state of calamity due to lapses in compliance with environmental standards by some businesses there.

“Nandun si DCO General Mendez, kasama doon sa mga nag-plano sa Boracay cleanup and yung PRO6 will be mainly involved in the security and law enforcement, at kapag mag-enforce ng environmental laws, nandun yung ating PRO 6,” Dela Rosa explained

Last month, Duterte described the island as a cesspool and has ordered Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to clean up Boracay.

The President explained that placing the island under a state of calamity would allow the government to extend assistance to those who are displaced financially.

Department of Interior and Local Government officer-in-charge Eduardo Año has been tasked to resolve the Boracay crisis soon.

Malacanang has also urged the public to work together with the government in the cleanup of the island, citing that the problem in the island is an issue of public interest, safety and health. (Benjamin Pulta/PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...