PNP studies more raps vs. VP Sara

Photo courtesy of HOR.

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine National Police (PNP) is eyeing more criminal charges against Vice President Sara Duterte, her security personnel, and other staff in connection with the Nov. 23 incident at the Veterans Memorial Medical Center (VMMC) in Quezon City.

“We expect that there will be more cases that will be filed aside from grave coercion, direct assault, and disobedience to persons in authority,” PNP Spokesperson PBrig. Gen. Jean Fajardo said in a press briefing at Camp Crame, Quezon City on Monday.

Fajardo, however, did not provide further details.

Last week, the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) filed charges for direct assault, disobedience to authority, and grave coercion against Duterte and three others following last weekend’s confrontation with police officers who secured the transfer of her chief of staff, Undersecretary Zuleika Lopez.

Fajardo, meanwhile, confirmed that Duterte has a license to own and possess firearms (LTOPF) and firearm registration (FR) but does not have a permit to carry firearms outside of residence (PTCFOR).

“Let us wait for the completion of the investigation being conducted by the CIDG (Criminal Investigation and Detection Group) to determine whether or not these cases filed against [her] can be used as grounds for possible revocation or cancellation of her LTOFP and firearms registration,” she added.

PNP Chief PGen. Rommel Francisco Marbil said the filing of criminal charges against Duterte is an exercise of the police’s constitutional mandate to uphold the rule of law.

Marbil issued the statement following allegations that the Vice President’s allegations the PNP is being used to politically harass her.

Popular

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...