PNP suspends tattoo removal policy

Philippine News Agency

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has deferred the implementation of the policy regulating tattoos among its officers and applicants.

PNP spokesperson Col. Jean Fajardo said chief Gen. Rommel Francsico Marbil ordered the Directorate for Personnel and Records Management (DPRM) to review Memorandum Circular 2024-023 that orders uniformed and non-uniformed personnel to have their visible tattoos removed.

“Nagsalita rin ‘yung ating Chief PNP si Gen. Marbil at sinabi niya sa ating mga concerned directorate, particularly ‘yung DPRM, na muling pag-aaralan itong circular na ito dahil na-ipasa ito during the time ng former PNP chief Benjamin Acorda Jr.,” Fajardo said at the Saturday News Forum in Quezon City on April 27.

Fajardo said Marbil wants the policy reviewed before its full implementation, particularly the provision that officers and staff need to remove all visible tattoos while in uniform because it involves health and financial issues.

Fajardo previously said cops with existing tattoos are required to execute an affidavit, declaring their markings that are not visible.

The policy excludes aesthetic tattoos, such as but not limited to eyebrows, eyeliner, or lips, Fajardo said.

The PNP said unauthorized tattoos include extremist, ethnically, or religiously discriminatory and offensive, indecent tattoos, racist, sexist, and tattoos associated with prohibited or unauthorized groups.

Fajardo said cops who refuse to follow the policy would face administrative charges.

Earlier, Manila 3rd District Rep. Joel Chua slammed the order as unconstitutional, saying tattoos are artistic expressions and protected by the right to free expression.

Fajardo countered that like any other constitutional freedom, “it is not absolute.” (Lloyd Caliwan)

Popular

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...