PopCom renamed but mandate stays

By Perla Lena/PNA

Undersecretary for the Population and Development and Executive Director V of the Commission on Population and Development (PopCom) Juan Antonio A. Perez III discusses Executive Order 71 that reverted PopCom to NEDA during the first quarter Regional Population Management Conference of the Commission on Population in this city on Tuesday (Jan. 29, 2019). (Photo by Perla Lena)

ILOILO CITY — The renaming of the Commission on Population into Commission on Population and Development (CPD), and returning it to the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) will not affect its mandate.

During the two-day 2019 first quarter Regional Population Management Conference that ended here Wednesday, PopCom executive director and Undersecretary Juan Antonio A. Perez III, said amid the change in the name and the reversion to NEDA, Presidential Decree 79 or the Revised Population Act of the Philippines is still relevant as reaffirmed by President Rodrigo Duterte when he signed Executive Order (EO) 71 last December.

“PopCom is still supposed to formulate and adopt coherent, relevant, integrated comprehensive plans, programs, recommendations on population as it relates to economic and social development consistent with complementing the population policy,” he said Tuesday.

The population policy includes undertaking a national program on family planning with respect to religious beliefs and values of clients, he added.

He said PopCom, when it comes to family planning has two sides — one is health-related that would result in better health for the people while it also contributes to socioeconomic development.

“This EO recognizes the duality of the family planning program,” he said.

PopCom, from the 1990s up to 2003, was under NEDA but became an attached agency of the Department of Health (DOH) from 2003 until 2018.

EO 71, signed in December last year by Duterte, returned PopCom to NEDA and was renamed as CPD.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...