PRC-Zambo seeks more blood donors as dengue cases soar

By R. G. Antonet Go/Philippine News Agency

ZAMBOANGA CITY – The local chapter of the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) here has appealed for more blood donors amid the rising cases of dengue in this city and nearby areas.

Joseline Fernandez, PRC local chapter OIC-administrator, made the call since they have already provided the needs of 108 dengue patients since June and have no sufficient supply of blood.

Fernandez said Thursday that 50 of the 105 were served in June while the remaining 58 as of July 19.

“More patients are coming to us,” Fernandez added.

Data gathered by the DOH regional office showed that Zamboanga City, as of July 6, has registered 2,662 cases of dengue, the highest compared to other areas in the region.

The DOH reported that there were 8,076 cases of dengue recorded as of July 6, which is 285 percent higher than the 2,067 cases registered in the same period last year.

“We appeal to the public to donate blood for us to be able to have enough supply to serve patients particularly with the increasing cases of dengue,” Fernandez said, adding they have scheduled blood donation activities.

She said that most of the dengue patients need platelet concentrate or other blood components as advised by the attending physician. The platelet concentrate can only be stored for five days and can only be taken from blood donors.

She said the other blood components needed by dengue patients included whole blood, packed red blood cells, and fresh frozen plasma with blood group types O, A, AB, and B.

The PRC local chapter is also serving patients coming from other areas of the region as well as the province of Basilan, Sulu, and Tawi-Tawi, which are part of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).

The PRC local chapter and the Zamboanga City Medical Center (ZCMC) are the only two authorized blood banks in this city. (PNA)

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...