President Duterte names Albayalde as new PNP Chief

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Thursday, April 5, named National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) Regional Director Oscar Albayalde as the new chief of Philippine National Police (PNP).

Police Director Albayalde will replace Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa.

The President has extended the term of Dela Rosa, who reached the retirement age of 56 last January.

In December last year, President Duterte announced that Dela Rosa will head the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).

In his speech at the awarding of outstanding farmers, fisherfolks and coastal communities held at the Malacañan Palace, the Chief Executive cited the strictness of Albayalde.

“Kasi tinatanong ko ‘yung mga taga-Davao. I mentioned two other names. Sabi nila, ‘‘Yan sir, mahusay ‘yan, sir, mabait,’” he said.

“Tinanong ko, ‘Si Albayalde?’ ‘Sir, masyadong istrikto ‘yan.’ ‘‘Yan si Albayalde ang inyo.’ Then Albayalde is the man for you. So the stricter the better. Tutal wala naman tayong ano diyan,” he said.

Aside from the new PNP chief, the President has also appointed Western Mindanao Command chief Lieutenant General Carlito Galvez Jr. as the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff.

In the same speech, Duterte announced that he has accepted the resignation of his fraternity brother Vitaliano Aguirre II as Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary.

The President has appointed Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra as the new DOJ chief. (PND)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...