Promote ‘standing break’ among employers, DOLE urged

MANILA — A labor group urged the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to effectively disseminate information on its new “standing break” order for workers.

Associated Labor Unions-Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (ALU-TUCP) spokesperson Alan Tanjusay noted the importance of Department Order No. 184, that will help reduce job-related stresses on employees.

“We are looking at the primary objective of the new DO as to minimize job-related stresses, diseases, sicknesses and deaths caused on workers due to stationary or sedentary nature of their work,” he said in a statement.

“We expect the DOLE to roll out and inform all employers about the new workplace rule for the wellness of their employee in today’s very stressful times,” Tanjusay added.

The ALU-TUCP official also urged the agency to come up with initiatives to teach workers on simple exercises that are applicable in workplaces.

“Dapat maglabas ang DOLE ng mga promotional, sample videos teaching employees and employers ng mga simpleng exercises na applicable sa iba’t ibang uri ng workplace (The DOLE must release promotional sample videos teaching employees and employers simple exercises which can be applicable in various kinds of workplaces),” he said.

At the same time, Tanjusay is hoping that companies will not charge to the employees any expenses they may incur in complying with the order.

“We also hope there would be no additional cost to employees once the DO is complied in the workplace,” he said.

“Sana tingnan ito ng mga employers bilang isang polisiya upang maging malusog at produktibo ang kanilang mga manggagawa at hindi bilang karagdagang gastos (I hope employers will look at this as a policy which seeks to make their employees healthier and more productive instead of looking at it as a source of additional expenses),” the labor group official added.

Last week, DOLE issued the order requiring employers to provide standing breaks for their workers whose jobs require sitting for long period of time.

Under the DO, employers are required to provide workers with regular five-minute breaks every two hours from sitting time.

It covers workers involved in computer, administrative, and clerical works; those working in highly mechanized establishments; those working in the field of transportation, toll booths, information technology and business process management; and all other processes and industries where sedentary work is observed.

The order which was issued on Oct 18, 2017, shall be effective 15 days after its publication in newspapers. (PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...