PRRD formally appoints Piñol to MinDa

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

Emmanuel “Manny” Piñol

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte has formally appointed former Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Emmanuel “Manny” Piñol as chairman of the Mindanao Development Authority (MinDa).

According to a list of presidential appointees from Malacañang, Piñol was appointed MinDa chairman on August 5. The Palace has yet to release his official appointment paper to reporters.

Duterte earlier bared that Piñol would be the perfect “point man” to help develop the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) given his experience as a farmer and former North Cotabato governor.

“I must remember that it is an agricultural country and Piñol is a farmer who was once a governor and he was born there and he’s good. The Mindanao Development Authority is a Cabinet position. He is still a Cabinet,” Duterte said in a television interview with Pastor Apollo Quiboloy in Davao City last month.

“I’m sure he can help the BARMM and the government to fast-track everything,” he added.

Meanwhile, William Dar will be returning as acting DA secretary.

Dar first served as acting Secretary of Agriculture during the term of President Joseph “Erap” Estrada.

This is despite Duterte’s earlier pronouncement that he would want a “military man” to be the next DA chief.

 

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...