PRRD OKs proposal to stamp PH visa on Chinese visitors’ passports

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

President Rodrigo Duterte

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the proposal of Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to stamp the Philippine visa on passports of Chinese nationals visiting the country, Malacañang said on Tuesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte approved the proposal of DFA Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. after it was presented during a Cabinet meeting on Monday (August 5) night.

“Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin proposed to stamp the Philippine visa on passports of Chinese nationals who wish to enter the country instead of the practice adapted before of placing it on a piece of paper. This was approved by the President,” Panelo said in a statement.

“Sabi niya (He said), ‘Approved! I’m okay with that,’” he said in a Palace briefing.

Panelo said the Department of Justice (DOJ) will also closely monitor the stay of Chinese tourists in the country and will implement immigration measures should they exceed their allowable stay in the country.

He also assured that the DFA will soon be issuing protocols in relation to the new visa procedures.

Meanwhile, he also gave credit to Locsin for including in his proposal stamping the map of the Philippines on Chinese visitors’ visas.

“Ang magandang nakita ko doon, merong mapa ng Pilipinas e na ilalagay kung saan nandun lahat ang ating teritoryo pati yung mga pinag-aawayan. Sa stamp mismo (What I saw nice about the proposal is that there will be a map of the Philippines placed including the disputed territories. It will be placed on the stamp itself),” Panelo said.

In his official Twitter account, Locsin also confirmed the stamping of the Philippine map in Chinese visitors’ passports.

“The stamp has the map of the entire Philippine EEZ (exclusive economic zone) to its widest extent including Benham Rise along with other territorial claims. So tit for tat,” Locsin said in his tweet.

Panelo said the influx of Chinese tourists in the country was not discussed during the Cabinet meeting.

Last month, Locsin recommended the removal of visa upon arrival privilege for foreigners.

Locsin’s proposal came after National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. bared that the influx of undocumented foreigners to Manila pose a possible security threat to the country.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...