PRRD signs 2019 budget, vetoes P95.3-B

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — After long delays in its passage, President Rodrigo R. Duterte has finally signed the 2019 national budget, Malacañang said on Monday.

Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea confirmed to reporters via text message that the budget has indeed been signed by the chief executive.

Medialdea said the President, however, vetoed PHP95.3 billion worth of appropriation since they are “not part of the President’s priority projects”.

“The President, among others, vetoed 95.3 billion pesos items of appropriations in the Details of DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways) Programs/Projects, which are not within the programmed priorities,” Medialdea said.

Earlier, Senate President Vicente Sotto III said he will support a presidential veto of the entire national budget if he should find irregularities in the measure.

Earlier, delays in the passage of the 2019 budget stemmed from an impasse between the two members of the Congress after last-minute amendments made by the House ratification of the bicameral conference committee report.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo earlier said Duterte has the right to veto certain realignments and would not sign anything “unconstitutional”.

On April 10, Panelo announced that the President will sign the 2019 budget. However, it was later rescheduled until further notice.

The government has been operating on a reenacted budget since January 1 after lawmakers failed to pass the bill last year due to alleged pork “insertions”.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...