Pyro-makers remind public on right storage, use of firecrackers

By Manny Balbin/PNA

BOCAUE, Bulacan — Pyrotechnics manufacturers and dealers in this province have reminded the public on the proper storage and use of pyrotechnics and firecracker products to ensure a safe and peaceful welcome of the New Year.

Lea Alapide, president of the Philippine Pyrotechnics Manufacturers and Dealers Association Inc. (PPMDAI), in a media interview Saturday, appealed to fireworks enthusiasts not to let their firecrackers and pyrotechnics devices to get wet especially that the country is experiencing rains in the past weeks.

Alapide also advised the public to see to it that the fireworks products to be used on the New Year revelries are properly packed and stored away from places that could ignite it.

She recalled an incident that took place in this town two years due to improper storage of the fireworks.

“Two years ago, several fireworks stores and residential houses were blasted to smithereens in Bocaue town when rainwater reportedly found its way to the stock room, causing spontaneous combustion that killed at least two people, injured 24 others and destroyed properties worth at least PHP20 million,” Alapide said.

Research made by PPMDAI has noted that the traditional fireworks chemical ingredient potassium chlorate is unstable and susceptible to accidental explosions.

Despite the use of potassium chlorate which is banned in other countries, local fireworks manufacturers, citing a fireworks summit conducted by the Pyrotechnic Regulatory Board of Bulacan last year, said there are still a few that use such traditional chemical ingredient because it is cheaper compared to the more stable potassium perchlorate.

“But potassium perchlorate is now the main ingredient being used by several big-time fireworks manufacturers in the country and are mostly engaged in the production of aerial fireworks displays,” she said.

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...