Pyro-makers remind public on right storage, use of firecrackers

By Manny Balbin/PNA

BOCAUE, Bulacan — Pyrotechnics manufacturers and dealers in this province have reminded the public on the proper storage and use of pyrotechnics and firecracker products to ensure a safe and peaceful welcome of the New Year.

Lea Alapide, president of the Philippine Pyrotechnics Manufacturers and Dealers Association Inc. (PPMDAI), in a media interview Saturday, appealed to fireworks enthusiasts not to let their firecrackers and pyrotechnics devices to get wet especially that the country is experiencing rains in the past weeks.

Alapide also advised the public to see to it that the fireworks products to be used on the New Year revelries are properly packed and stored away from places that could ignite it.

She recalled an incident that took place in this town two years due to improper storage of the fireworks.

“Two years ago, several fireworks stores and residential houses were blasted to smithereens in Bocaue town when rainwater reportedly found its way to the stock room, causing spontaneous combustion that killed at least two people, injured 24 others and destroyed properties worth at least PHP20 million,” Alapide said.

Research made by PPMDAI has noted that the traditional fireworks chemical ingredient potassium chlorate is unstable and susceptible to accidental explosions.

Despite the use of potassium chlorate which is banned in other countries, local fireworks manufacturers, citing a fireworks summit conducted by the Pyrotechnic Regulatory Board of Bulacan last year, said there are still a few that use such traditional chemical ingredient because it is cheaper compared to the more stable potassium perchlorate.

“But potassium perchlorate is now the main ingredient being used by several big-time fireworks manufacturers in the country and are mostly engaged in the production of aerial fireworks displays,” she said.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...