READ: Statement of DA Sec. Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. on the suspension of 139 NFA officials

Department of Agriculture (Photo courtesy of DA / Pixabay)

Today, we are implementing the preventive suspension order of the Ombudsman against 139 officials and employees of the National Food Administration (NFA) who are being investigated for alleged involvement in the controversial sale of rice buffer stocks.

The suspended NFA officials include administrator Roderico Bioco, assistant administrator for operations John Robert Hermano, and several regional managers and warehouse supervisors all over the Philippines.

Kinokondena at hindi palalampasin ang anumang uri ng korapsyon. Kaisa ako ng Ombudsman sa layunin nitong alamin ang katotohanan at parusahan ang
dapat maparusahan.

I have been in contact with the Office of the Ombudsman ever since this controversy erupted. I also created a special panel of internal investigators to determine culpability and see how we can prevent it from happening again in the future.

To avoid any delays in the services and projects of the agency, I will temporarily take over the leadership of the NFA. Apart from the suspended NFA personnel, who as we speak after being served their suspension letters, we expect everyone in the agency to do their regular jobs to ensure that our countrymen are provided the service they deserve.

NFA administrator Bioco had earlier filed a leave of absence to allow investigators a freehand to undertake the probe, which we expect will go beyond this controversy. We intend to dig deep as far as 2019 at least and welcome those who would come forward to assist us in cleansing the NFA.

The preventive suspension will allow the Ombudsman to secure all the documents and other evidence relating, but not limited, to the sale of rice buffer stocks that is greatly disadvantageous to the government. The Ombudsman and the Department of Agriculture has been coordinating on this investigation that could go back years.

Rice is the main food staple of tens of millions of Filipinos, particularly the poor. We cannot allow those who have been entrusted this noble task to bilk the NFA, enriching themselves at the expense of millions who struggle every day for a chance feed their families.

We beg your indulgence that we cannot discuss more than what we have said about this issue since the Ombudsman and DA investigations are still ongoing.

Rest assured that once we have results, we will immediately inform the public.

Popular

AFP: VP security group reorganized, not disbanded

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) clarified that the Vice Presidential Security and Protection Group (VPSPG)...

Myanmar quake death toll passes 3,300: state media

By Agence France-Presse The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen above 3,300, state media said Saturday (April 5), as the United...

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...