Reenacted budget no effect on gov’t scholars: CHED

By Perfecto Raymundo, Jr./PNA

MANILA — The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) on Friday assured that the reenacted budget has no effect on college students who are availing of government scholarship programs.

In a lunch tribute to the media at the College of Home Economics at the University of the Philippines Diliman, CHED chairman Prospero de Vera III said the free tuition and stipends of 300,000 government scholars in state and private universities and colleges are not affected by the re-enacted national budget of 2018.

De Vera added that even if the re-enacted budget will prevail until the first quarter of the year, it does not in any way affect the scholarship granted to 300,000 students of higher learning.

The CHED has set a PHP16-billion tertiary education subsidy for 2018.

In December last year, the House of Representatives passed on third and final reading the proposed PHP3.757 trillion national budget for 2019. However, the Senate has yet to pass its version of the proposed 2019 national budget.

“The Congress (House and the Senate) would hopefully pass the proposed PHP3.757 trillion national budget for 2019 within the first quarter of the year,” de Vera said.

He said they are proposing to increase the number of government scholars from 300,000 to 400,000 for this year, with CHED proposing a PHP40-billion tertiary education subsidy for 2019.

De Vera said the fiscal year is different from the school year, such that the disbursements for the last quarter of 2018 would still be made during the first quarter of 2019.

Wala pong epekto sa karagdagang 100,000 scholars ang re-enacted budget (The re-enacted budget has no effect on the additional 100,000 scholars),” he said.

“Pwede pa rin pong mag-avail ng scholarship ang mga qualified students para sa tertiary education this year (The qualified students can still avail of the scholarship for the tertiary education this year),” he added.

Popular

Binondo drum murder ‘mastermind’ a Chinese nat’l —Taiwan office in PH

By Brian Campued The alleged mastermind in the so-called Binondo drum murder is a Chinese national, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in the Philippines...

PBBM to inspect ‘Oplan Kontra Baha’ in Naga City

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is set to visit Naga City on Saturday to assess the implementation of the “Oplan Kontra Baha”...

Public warned vs. ash fall as Kanlaon erupts anew

By Brian Campued Authorities advised residents in Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental to be cautious of possible ashfall emitted by Kanlaon Volcano after it erupted...

PBBM focused on governance, no plans yet for 2028 polls —Palace

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. remains unfazed amid Vice President Sara Duterte’s announcement to run for president in 2028, Malacañang said, noting...