Robredo camp mum on Sotto’s allegations of electoral fraud

MANILA — The camp of Vice President Leni Robredo is mum on the alleged irregularities of the 2016 local and national elections as bared by Senator Vicente Sotto III.

In a television interview Wednesday evening, lawyer Romulo Macalintal, Robredo’s legal counsel said issues hounding the allegations made by Sotto do not affect Robredo.

“I am confident that it will never affect her because the integrity and accuracy of the 2016 automated election system had been affirmed by the Supreme Court Presidential Electoral Tribunal when it dismisses Marcos’ first cause of action assailing integrity of the system,” Macalintal said.

On Tuesday, Sotto said results of the May 2016 national elections may have been “altered” due to alleged irregularities, such as the transmission of votes happening a day before the actual counting of ballots.

The senator added that his “impeccably reliable source” also believes that the election servers were also accessed by a foreign entity “before, during, and after” the polls.

Meanwhile, in the same interview, Robredo’s erstwhile rival former Senator Bongbong Marcos lauded the action taken by Sotto for exposing the supposed poll irregularities.

“I am happy that other patriotic leaders and stakeholders have seen the extent of the conspiracy, interference, and manipulation of the election results by Smartmatic,” Marcos said.

Marcos, who claimed that Robredo benefited from massive electronic cheating during the 2016 polls, had filed an electoral protest against Robredo’s victory.

Earlier, the Commission on Elections said it would look into the allegations raised by Sotto. (Ma. Teresa Montemayor/PNA)

Popular

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...