Sarangani eyes 95% coverage for measles, rubella immunization

GENERAL SANTOS CITY – Sarangani’s provincial health office is optimistic in meeting its targets for the ongoing mass supplemental immunization for measles and rubella, noting that it has already posted an accomplishment rate of 62 percent in the past three weeks.

Razel Bustria, program manager for maternal, neonatal, child health and nutrition of the provincial health office, said Wednesday their vaccination teams have already covered a total of 39,540 children since the month-long activity began last May 9.

Bustria said they had earlier set an accomplishment target of 95 percent out of the 66,428 eligible children within the province’s seven municipalities.

The Mindanao-wide mass immunization, which covers children aged six months to below five years old, will end on June 8.

“Our teams are currently working double time to meet the 95 percent target coverage or even surpass it,” she said.

Bustria attributed their accomplishment to the efforts of the vaccinations teams, especially the barangay health workers, to ensure that all eligible children in the area would be immunized.

She said some of them had endured long walks, even crossing rivers and using improvised rafts just to reach the remote communities.

Along with the immunization activities, she said their vaccination teams intensified their information and education campaigns about the vaccination program and proper health practices.

The Department of Health earlier launched the immunization drive in response to the measles outbreak in parts of Mindanao.

It also launched the activity in April at the National Capital Region but noted a low turnout due to the controversial anti-dengue vaccine Dengvaxia.

Bustria said they did not face such problem in the province as residents were well aware that the vaccine had not reached the area. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...