Saudi-led coalition intensifies airstrikes on Houthis after intercepting ballistic missile

A Houthi fighter talks on the phone as he walks at the site of an air strike on a parade square in Sana’a, Yemen, Nov. 5, 2017. (Photo Courtesy: Reuters)

Saudi Arabia and its allied forces launched a new wave of airstrikes on targets in neighboring Yemen, where Riyadh has been leading a military alliance against Iran-backed Shi’ite Houthi militant forces since March 2015.

Alhurra reported the airstrikes targeted the National Security building and the Ministry of Interior and other positions Sunday in the capital, Sana’a.

The renewed attacks came a day after the country’s military said it intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Yemen and aimed at the King Khalid International Airport northeast of Riyadh.

Iran-backed Houthi fighters in Yemen claimed responsibility for the missile. “We had warned that the capitals of the countries that attack Yemen would not be safe from our ballistic missiles,” Mohamed Abdel Salam, a Houthis spokesperson, said in a statement, Arab media reported.

Saudi Arabia has been leading a military campaign in Yemen, which has been engulfed in civil war since 2014 after the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels swept into Sana’a and overthrew President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi’s government. Saudi Arabia has accused Iran of providing arms to the Shi’ite rebels and that Iran’s hostile policy is the major obstacle in solving the crisis in Yemen.

“A shot was taken by Iran, in my opinion, at Saudi Arabia,” President Donald Trump, who talked to Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz about the intercepted missile, told reporters on board Air Force One while flying to Japan. “And our system knocked it down,” he added, a reference to the Patriot missile batteries Riyadh purchased from the United States.

Saturday’s missile was not the first Houthi attack on Saudi territory. The Houthi forces have repeatedly struck targets inside Saudi Arabia. In July, the Saudis shot down a ballistic missile from Yemen near Mecca, a month before Muslims began their annual pilgrimage to the city.

Abdel-Malek al-Houthi, the Houthi leader, last month threatened that missiles available to his forces could target Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, which is a key member of the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen.

Recent reports by the United Nations and right groups have blamed the warring parties for civilian deaths, including hundreds of children, and for destroying schools and hospitals. | via Voice of America

Popular

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...