Sayyaf man, pal arrested; bomb-making components seized

Soldiers inspect a passenger bus at the boundary of Zamboanga City and Zamboanga Sibugay to thwart entry of lawless elements to the city of Zamboanga, where a “No ID, No Entry” policy has been in effect since the imposition of Martial Law last year here in Mindanao. (File Photo: Teofilo P. Garcia Jr.)

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Police arrested two people, including an alleged Abu Sayyaf bandit, and seized bomb-making components along the highway in this city’s eastern coast, police officials said Wednesday.

Chief Insp. Hazel Fernandez, Police Station 4 chief, identified the alleged Abu Sayyaf bandit as Abdurasad Adjail, 55, who carries the aliases of Sahibul, Sailani and Salip Utoh.

Fernandez said Adjail’s companion was identified as Evelyn Fernandez, 60, a resident of Barangay Sta. Maria, this city.

Police said Fernandez was released after they failed to establish her connection with Adjail.

Fernandez said Adjail and Fernandez were arrested aboard a passenger van in a checkpoint around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in Barangay Culianan, this city.

Their arrest came after the police received report that they boarded a passenger van in the town of Tungawan in Zamboanga Sibugay en route to this city.

Chief Supt. Billy Beltran, Police Regional Office-9 (PRO-9) director, said the arresting team recovered bomb-making components from the suspects.

Police said there is a high possibility the suspects have knowledge in bomb-making based on the materials recovered from them.

Fernandez said Adjail has standing warrant of arrest for seven-count kidnapping and serious illegal detention issued by a court in Isabela City, Basilan.

Adjail is allegedly involved in the June 11, 2001 kidnapping of 15 workers from the Golden Harvest Plantation in Barangay Tairan, Lantawan, Basilan province. Abu Sayyaf bandits beheaded five of the hostages while the remaining 10 have either escaped or rescued by pursuing military forces. (With Reports from Ely E. Dumaboc/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...